Florida Master Money Mentors
Volunteers joining this program will receive approximately 20 hours of intensive training in financial mentoring, basic money management, strategies for dealing with financial problems, credit and debt management, savings, mentoring techniques, and community resources. Some home study will be required. Opportunities are provided in class to practice mentoring skills in small groups and one-to-one teaching and mentoring.
Following the training, each volunteer agrees to provide volunteer financial mentoring with at least 24 individuals within one year of completion of training.
- Volunteer to provide financial counseling for at least 24 individuals or families requesting assistance in the next year.
- Completion of two hours of approved continuing education each year.
- Assist individuals and families to analyze their financial situation and generate action strategies to improve their financial situation.
- Be familiar with a variety of financial management tools and community resources that may be useful to individuals and families.
- Complete volunteer activity reports and return them to the Family and Consumer Services Extension Agent.
- Promote UF/IFAS Pinellas County Extension as an educational resource.
- Practice effective communication and mentoring skills to interact with individuals and families in a respectful, nonjudgmental manner.
- Understand the uniqueness of an individual’s attitudes, beliefs and values regarding money.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with individuals in a respectful and nonjudgmental manner.
- Ability to maintain participant confidentiality and trust.
- Ability to attend all training sessions.
- Access to a telephone, email and transportation.
- Commitment to follow UF/IFAS Cooperative Extension financial management recommendations and avoid implying UF/IFAS Extension endorsement of any financial institution or product.
- Receive Florida Master Money Mentor certification.
- Become a member of a working team providing a valuable service to individuals and families in the community.
- Receive up-to-date training and materials on financial management for personal use.
- Learn and build financial management and coaching skills.
- Gain volunteer work experience in the public sector.