The following programs are offered in locations including elementary schools where at least 51% of the children are receiving free and reduced price lunch.
Youth Understanding MyPlate:
The Family Nutrition Program concentrates on improving diet quality and physical activity of children using the Youth Understanding MyPlate (YUM) curriculum. Classes are offered to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade students.
- Provides six 30-minute, evidence-based nutrition lessons focusing on the MyPlate theme
- Lessons align with Florida educational standards
- Children learn about the importance of consuming fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low fat dairy foods, as well as the importance of being physically active through fun and interactive activities including healthy snack tasting if time permits
- Weekly parent letters regarding class topics and healthy recipes
- Follow-up materials provided for teachers to use in the classroom
Gardening for Nutrition:
A comprehensive program designed to teach health, science, language arts and more using a school garden
- Provides at least six 30-minute evidence-based lessons that teach students about nutrition and where their food comes from
- Health food preparation activities if time permits
- Technical support for teachers and funding for school gardens provided